Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Banned Books Week: My Top 5 Banned Books



September 21-27 is Banned Books Week this year, celebrating reading and specifically, reading books despite people who want to censor what we read for various reasons, such as religion, or thinking that the books are inappropriate for children.  You can see a list of the Top 10 banned/challenged books each year from 2001-2013 here, and these are my top five from the lists, in no particular order:

ttyl, ttfn and l8r g8r

Lauren Myracle


Lauren Myracle has gotten pretty popular over the years; the first book of hers I read was Kissing Kate, which doesn't show up on the top ten lists, even though there's plenty reason for it to.  These three books were banned frequently for language, sexual explicitness and the fact that one of the characters is pretty religious, which pretty much covers the spectrum.

What My Mother Doesn't Know

Sonya Sones


What My Mother Doesn't Know follows the adventures of Sophie, a Jewish girl discovering love.  It's also written entirely in poems.  I loved this book as a teen and read is way more than once.  And, of course, it's on the banned list because teenagers apparently aren't ready to deal with sexuality.

Harry Potter series

JK Rowling



And what would a list of banned books be without Harry Potter.  The reason listed on the site is occult/Satanism, which is funny considering how much of a deal they make about Christmas at Hogwarts.

My Sister's Keeper

Jodi Picoult


It isn't necessarily a YA book, but because it centers heavily around a young girl, it was banned partly for being 'unsuited for age group,' among a laundry list of details.  Considering this book was meant to be controversial, I'd say Picoult did a good job, wouldn't you?

Thirteen Reasons Why

Jay Asher



And finally, Thirteen Reasons Why is a fairly popular book that deals with the journey a young girl experienced, as her resolve was chipped away and she finally committed suicide.  And, of course, the book has been banned specifically because it talks about suicide.  Whether you like this particular take on it or not, suicide is something that happens, and brushing it under the rug is a lot more offensive, in my opinion.

What are some of your favorite books that you 'shouldn't be reading'?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of these :-( But two of them are sitting on my bookshelf right now, so hopefully I will read them soon!
    I don't really pay attention to "Banned Books" although I am sure that I have read quite of few of them.....

    Em @ http://theyabookbutterfly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete