Saturday, February 2, 2013

Book review: Break My Heart 1,000 Times by Daniel Waters




Living in the aftermath of the Event means that seeing the dead is now a part of life, but Veronica wishes that the ghosts would just move on. Instead, the ghosts aren't disappearing--they're gaining power. 

When Veronica and her friend, Kirk, decide to investigate why, they stumble upon a more sinister plot than they ever could have imagined. One of Veronica's high school teachers is crippled by the fact that his dead daughter has never returned as a ghost, and he's haunted by the possibility that she's waiting to reappear within a fresh body. Veronica seems like the perfect host. And even if he's wrong, what's the harm in creating one more ghost? 


Now this was a book I could definitely get into.  The concept itself is rather interesting, and provides a breath of fresh air from all the Twilight clones and cookie-cutter paranormal stuff that’s still going around even after the movie franchise is over.

But that’s a rant for another time, I suppose.

There’s a lot to like about this, not just the plot.  For the most part, the writing is great.  There are a few times where it’s awkward, and the author seems to have an obsession with describing Veronica’s clothes every time she changes, but nothing too bad.

While I’m listing my complaints, I suppose I’ll put the others I had.  Veronica is a dynamic character, but so much so that I often got confused and wondered if two different people had written separate chapters.  At times she’s kissing Kirk and completely comfortable with him, and then later she’s wondering why he’s falling for her and how to break up with him.  I understand someone has a right to change their mind, but she acted like none of it had even happened!  A bit irritating

Veronica’s best friend is absolutely terrified of ghosts, but I’m not sure I understand her character arc.  One day she’s refusing to go with Veronica and Kirk to video tape them, the next she’s asking if she can go to Veronica’s house and see the image of Veronica’s father that appears every morning.  Perhaps I’m missing something; I’m sure there was supposed to be some big character revelation.  Unfortunately, with all the different focuses, she’s not one of them so we never see it.

Finally, just how this world is setup confused me as well.  The summary and first few chapters of the book imply that the Event, which itself is vague and never gone into in too much detail (though I imagine it’s because no one really understands how it happened anyway) caused the ghosts to appear somehow.  Later, it’s implied that ghosts always appear in this world after a tragic event, citing such things as the atom bomb drops in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.  Still later, those theories are dismissed as conspiracy theories.  I suppose I just would’ve liked to know if this really was an alternate universe or something else.

However, this book, I feel, has pros that outweigh the cons.  I’ve already mentioned the writing.  It also manages to keep a very creepy vibe about it throughout the story.  In this world, ghosts appear and act out a piece of their life before disappearing, often every day or several times a week.  Even though it’s been years since the Event, people still often can’t tell the difference between a ghost and a living person, unless they know the ghost and know they’re dead.  This most often happens when following Mr. Bittner’s point of view, although based on later events in the book, it seems he’s a bit more unhinged than even first implied.

Overall, a very enjoyable book, especially if you’re a paranormal buff.  Definitely worth at least a borrow from the library or a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment