Sunday, February 3, 2013

Book review: Intentions by Deborah Heiligman


Rachel thought she was grown up enough to accept that no one is perfect. Her parents argue, her grandmother has been acting strangely, and her best friend doesn't want to talk to her. But none of that could have prepared her for what she overheard in her synagogue's sanctuary.

Now Rachel's trust in the people she loves is shattered, and her newfound cynicism leads to reckless rebellion. Her friends and family hardly recognize her, and worse, she can hardly recognize herself. But how can the adults in her life lecture her about acting with kavanah, intention, when they are constantly making such horribly wrong decisions themselves? This is a witty, honest account of navigating the daunting line between losing innocence and entering adulthood—all while figuring out who you really want to be.

It took me a while to start on this review after I finished reading.  Not because it was bad; in fact, it was the opposite!  Intentions is one of the few books I’ve thoroughly enjoyed in a while.  I suppose it’s easier to complain than compliment, though.

I seem to be on a bit of a Judaism kick for YA lately; just a few weeks ago I read one called If I Should Die Before I Wake, about a neo-Nazi girl who kept flashing back to the life of a Jewish girl during the holocaust.  Perhaps I should actively seek them out?  They’re quite interesting.

Anyway, this book is contemporary instead of historical, so it’s different.  The thing I loved most about this was Rachel’s voice.  There are times when I was quite annoyed with her; not as a character, but just as a human being, making stupid choices and saying stupid things, but I always loved her voice.

The story itself was a bit chaotic.  So much came tumbling down in Rachel’s life one after another, but that’s how it happens sometimes.  Often it only takes one thing to put someone over the tipping point.  Of course, in the end, it seemed Rachel overreacted for at least one of the things- but that is something you’ll have to find out for yourself.

My favorite aspect of the actual story was probably Rachel’s visits to the reading lab.  They didn’t happen too much in the story, and they did seem like an aside without much effect on the story.  But it’s something I wish I could’ve done in high school, so I suppose the missed opportunity makes me live vicariously through her.

Besides the minor things mentioned, I really don’t have a problem with this book.  It felt good to read a book that I truly, thoroughly enjoyed.  Hope you will, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment