Friday, August 9, 2013

Book review: Seven Minutes in Heaven (The Lying Game #6) by Sara Shepard


My sister wants the truth.

But sometimes the truth hurts.

For months, my long-lost twin, Emma, has been living my life and trying to solve my murder. She's unearthed dark secrets about my friends, my family, and my tangled past. But when it comes to finding my killer, she keeps running into dead ends.

Until my body shows up in Sabino Canyon. Suddenly everyone knows there are two girls who look like Sutton Mercer—and that one of them is dead. At first the police assume the body is Emma's. But as questions and accusations start flying, it's harder than ever for Emma to keep playing me. The truth is bound to come out eventually. And when it does, Emma will be suspect number one in my murder investigation. If she can't find my killer before time runs out, she'll end up behind bars . . . or worse.

Alright!  This is the last book in the Lying Games series.  I can say that with about 98% certainty.  The other two percent is because Shepard’s other series, Pretty Little Liars, has been extended twice already when it seemed like everything had been solved and squared away.  So you never know with this woman.  I will say that for all their faults, her books are addictive as hell; they’re hard to put down, even when you think you probably should.  I found myself staying up way later than I should to finish this one.

I won’t put in spoilers, as usual, but I got teary-eyed at the end when they finally had Sutton’s funeral and everyone did their tributes and had their thoughts about her.  Shepard certainly got that part right, because it tugged at my heart strings just as a funeral of a major character should.

That said, I saw the real identity of the killer coming from two books away, not even gonna lie.  As far as the mystery plot goes, it was rather redundant and will probably have you rolling your eyes at Emma when she finally puts everything together and realizes who the murderer is, because you probably already did it yourself if not as soon as I did, at least last book.  Well, let’s just say Emma probably won’t be much of an investigative reporter if she still wants to pursue that career.

Still, as I said, there’s a very addictive quality to Shepard’s book, so I’d still recommend the book and series even with its faults.  Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment