Thursday, August 1, 2013

Happy Yaoi Day!

In Japan there's a pun on the date 8/01. The '8' is 'ya,' the 0 is pronounced 'oh' and the 1 is pronounced 'ee.' So, it becomes yaoi, the name for gay romantic manga aimed at women.

Yeah, like this one

On the one hand, there's a lot of controversy around yaoi.  A lot of people seem to think that it's mysoginistic, they decry the art as horrible, and in the depths of places like 4chan, they just don't understand why a woman would want to read about two guys falling in love.

Because there's something wrong with women just enjoying something, right?  We're all required to be pure little ladies and only enjoy things with Puritanical values.  Never mind that those raunchy, paperback Harlequin romances are pretty much an accepted part of society.

This cover image brought to you by Objectified Scotsman Thursday

I've been a fan of yaoi manga since I was fifteen, when my sister had the titles FAKE and Eerie Queerie in her manga collection, probably not expecting me to want to read them.  While I seem like I'm putting down those paperback Harlequins, though, they're essentially the same in many ways: a lot of them are about sex, they often have rather provocative covers that you wouldn't necessarily want to be seen in public,


The day I picked up this gem in Books-a-Million, I hightailed it right to the register

And women like them because they like them.  They might not be high-brow literature, but if men are allowed to read Playboy for the articles, I say women are allowed to read yaoi for the story development.

And the cute guys.

Seriously look at these cuties
Happy 801!

No comments:

Post a Comment